Ways to get your children to eat fruits and vegetables
Ever wonder if there are ways to get your children to eat fruits and vegetables?
Let me share my
magically out of this world recipe 😉
As I was drinking my ginormous green smoothie during therapy , one of my students said “ewww, what is that?”
Then I realized, nowadays kids reach out for fish crackers, candy, chocolate bars, sugary cereals etc…( the real “ewww”) before fruits or vegetables. I know some people who go on the whole day heck few days without fruits or vegetables….yup that was me few years ago. Then I would complain ” why am I so constipated?”
Think about it, why would a 4 year old go for kale if he has candy on a daily basis? Kale tastes horrible to them and they don’t know that it is packed with vitamins and minerals. All they know is kale looks green and disgusting in comparison to the colorful lollipops packed with sugar, chemicals, and dyes to name the few.
Since I started this healthy journey and educated myself, I became more open to fruits and vegetables especially the green vegetables. My taste buds have changed and I enjoy eating and drinking greens. Let me remind you, growing up I HATED VEGETABLES. Then I started looking at my own children and how much fruits and vegetables they don’t eat. My oldest is way more open to different types of fruits and vegetables, he enjoys food ; however, my daughter is very picky.
At this moment, my son eats a variety of fruits and vegetables like star fruit, watermelon, radishes, cilantro, onions, spinach and so many more. My daughter eats more fruits and a salad with dinner. She also eats cucumbers!!! “Hooray” ( this is what she says). This is what my picky eater eats and drinks: Watermelon, prunes, dates, chocolate smoothie, bananas, mulberries, brussel sprouts, lettuce, carrots, apples, tangerines, oranges, yellow bell peppers and mushrooms. It is a battle every time with my picky eater BUT staying consistent and persistent is key to having your picky eater eat a variety of fruits and vegetables.
So here are the few tips that worked with my kids.
- Lead by example: I didn’t force my kids to eat more fruits and vegetables. I started eating and drinking more fruits and vegetables. Then they were curious to try, sometimes they would like it and at times not. My daughter saw me eat a huge salad for dinner daily for at least a year before she tried the lettuce but you know what? Now she eats a small salad every evening. Keep the dressing simple: our dressing is lemon juice, some sea salt, and grape seed oil.
- Make smoothies: Make smoothies for you and your kids. Drink with them and you will be surprised , they will drink theirs and yours 😉 Make the smoothies sweet and add the greens. Bananas and dates are so sweet, add some spinach or celery and blend; they won’t even taste the difference. We are a picky family , if we can handle green vegetables in the smoothies, I think any person can 🙂 P.S: Pineapples are strong too so if you add a variety of greens with pineapples , you will only taste the latter and barely the greens. My kids drink a chocolate smoothie daily.
- Throw away the junk: If they don’t have it available , they won’t reach for it…. if they can’t see it for a while they won’t miss it anymore. When they do ask for junk, educate and explain to them ( even If they are little, they will understand) why it’s not allowed in your household.
- Keep your house abundant with all kinds of fruits and vegetables: After they get used not seeing the junk and consistently seeing the beautiful colors of fruits and vegetables they will start asking for them.
- Pack them fruits and/or vegetables for school: They may throw it away or give it to someone but if they see how consistent you are they will eat it. They are hungry and they don’t have a choice ! They are not going to like cucumbers or radishes at first, but be patient, and consistent; their taste buds will change. Some kids may take longer than others but they will get there if you hang in there and do not give in.
- Be Consistent: I cannot stress this enough. Children are smart and they will wait for you to forget. SO DO NOT forget. Say no to gummies and mean it. Right away offer them a healthy alternative though. There are plenty of alternatives: google them , order them from Amazon, whatever works for you.
I want to know more about you and your children. In the comments below, tell me which fruits and vegetables do your children eat? What are some of your ways to getting your children to eat fruits and vegetables?
Want more strategies to be independent with your health?
Become a Bzhealthymama VIM ( Very Important Mama)